• Thursday, 19 Apr 2018, 20:12

Downloads  Sitemap  

  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Text Size

Frequently Asked Questions by Tenants


What references are required

KMPM are required by our landlords to get an letter from your employer confirming that the prospective tenants are employed together with a reference from your previous landlord for each tenant moving into a property. All references are checked.

What other documentation is needed

- For residency we accept a recent (within the last 3 months) utility/ mobile phone bill or a current tenancy agreement.
- For identity we require a photo style driving licence or passport.

Do I have to pay a deposit?

Yes, a security deposit equivalent to one full month's rent is required for the during your tenancy.

Is my deposit refundable?

Your deposit will be held for the duration of the tenancy. At the end of the tenancy the property will be checked by the letting agent to ensure that the property is being returned in the same state the you received it in. Should there be any damage, property missing or the property not left in a clean condition then your letting agent will contact to let you know. KMPM would prefer to be able to agree to refund the full deposit to you on after you vacate the property, but it is your responsibility to ensure that you have fulfilled the terms of the tenancy, left the property in accordance with the inventory and schedule of condition, and ensured that you rent is paid up to date.

When can I pick up the keys to my new home?

KMPM will not release any keys to you until the commencement date of the tenancy agreement. You will be required to visit the KMPM office on this day in order to finalise any paperwork, such as signing the tenancy agreement, completing the PRTB form and signing a standing order for the subsequent rent payments. Once all of these have been completed and you will be given the keys to your rental property. 

What am I, as a tenant, responsible for?

Certain minimum obligations are laid out in the Residential Tenancies Act 2004. There may be other obligations arising from other legislation and any letting agreement entered into between the landlord and tenant. Failure to comply with any of these obligations could result in the termination of the tenancy.
- Pay the rent and any other charges due on time
- Ensure no act or omission causes the landlord to be in breach of the law (including the provisions of the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 1993)
- Notify the landlord of any repairs required and allow access for repairs to be carried out and (by appointment) for routine inspections
- Not do anything to cause the dwelling to deteriorate beyond normal wear and tear, and if this happens, make good such damage
- Not engage in or allow anti-social behaviour or act in a way that would invalidate the landlord's insurance
- Not assign, sub-let, alter, improve or change the use of the dwelling without the landlord's written consent
- Keep the landlord informed of the identity of the occupants ordinarily resident in the dwelling
- Notify the landlord before the last month of a fixed term tenancy of the intention to avail of the protection afforded by Part 4 of the Act (i.e. to remain in the tenancy for a period of up to 4 years)
- Provide the landlord with the information required so as to register the tenancy with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB)
- Carrying out odd jobs in the property in a Tenant like manner such as changing light bulbs etc.
- Repairing any damage caused by you at the property which includes unblocking a sink or toilet which has been blocked due to your misuse.

What other costs will I have besides the rent?

These will vary but are most likely to include gas, electricity, telephone and contents insurance to cover your own possessions. 

Am I entitled to rent relief?

If you pay income tax, you may be eligible for tax relief. Tax relief is also available for refuse charges. Details and application forms can be found on the Revenue - Rent Relief or by contacting your local tax office

Can I have friends stay over?

Yes. But you cannot sublet, unless it is specified in the lease, or allow more than the specified number of people in the contract to reside in the property over night for any period of time.

Can I have Pets?

No, pets are generally not permitted. 

Can I redecorate or make any other alterations to the property?

You cannot decorate or alter the property without the landlord or property owner’s consent.

What is my landlord responsible for?

This largely depends on the level of service KMPM has been instructed for the property although your tenancy agreement is between you and your Landlord and therefore the Landlord must ensure that any promises made within this contract are fulfilled.
Fully Managed: Your Landlord will have appointed KMPM to act for him regarding day to day matters. Therefore you should contact KMPM on all occasions. We may need to get authorisation from your Landlord for certain requests, but we will then act in accordance with your Landlord's instructions.
Let Only: If your Landlord is to manage the property you will be given your Landlord's contact details when you sign your tenancy agreement and you will pay your rent direct to your Landlord. Your Landlord will deal with any repairs needed to the property.

Can the landlord enter the property without my permission?

The Landlord cannot enter the property without giving the tenant reasonable notice beforehand, usually no less than 24 hours. However, in the event of an emergency which may affect the safety of the occupants or the property, it may be necessary to gain access without this notice. 

How much notice do I have to give?

The rules differ with tenancy type.
If you are in any doubt, you should contact your letting agent or our office where our staff will be able to advise you.

How do I end my lease early?

When you enter into a tenancy agreement with your Landlord it will state how long this period is for. During this time neither you nor the Landlord can end the tenancy unless there have been breaches of the terms. You should refer to your tenancy agreement and discuss this with KMPM. A fixed term lease give you security to occupy a property for a set period of time and you will be responsible for paying the rent for this sent period of time which was agreed at the commencement of the tenancy.

My Lease has expired, is it true that I now have no lease?

No this is incorrect. If your lease has gone beyond the original agreed rental period, then your lease has become a Part 4 tenancy, which means that you no longer have to stay for a set period, however the same terms and conditions apply and if you wish to vacate the property you will need to notify our office 28 days in advance, in writing, of your intention to vacate.


  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Text Size

Click here to download from i-Tunes

Click here to download from Android Marketplace

Stay Connected with KMPM

Stay connected with the KMPM using your favorite social networks and online news applications:


    Kersten Mehl Property Management Ltd
    Registered office:
    15 Shannon Street
    Co Limerick
    Registered in Ireland
    Company registration number: 429763
    Licence Number: 001220

    Tel: +353 061 404 518
    Fax: +353 061 404 576

    A Registered Member of SCSI Logo